If you are interested in living at Hazelmead then you first need to become an active member of Bridport Cohousing. Our membership process takes a few months to complete, giving you the opportunity to get to know the project and for us to get to know you.
We expect all active members to show commitment to our project and values, such as:
- compassion towards ourselves and one another
- supporting diversity in the form of age, income, ethnicity, cultural background, ideology, spirituality, interests, talents, gender, belief, sexual orientation
- respecting the freedom of each person to live as they choose, so long as that doesn’t interfere with others in the community, or commitment to the environment
- working together for environmental sustainability and toward climate resilience
You can also see how these values are expressed in our neighbourhood policies.
To understand the membership journey, we strongly recommend that you take a close look at
- How to become an active member of Bridport Cohousing,
- What is required of members during the development phase, and
- What is required of members when they are residents.
It’s important to ask all your questions when you come to ‘Meet the Neighbours’ events, and to consider your finances. Please note that:
- homes will only be available to households with a combined income of less than £50k;
- you won’t be eligible for a home if you own or part own a second home;
- if you’re hoping to rent a home in Hazelmead, you’ll need to be on the Dorset Council housing register;
- if you’re hoping to buy a shared ownership property for between 30 and 75% of the open market value, you will need to have been approved by Help to Buy South;
- local people are prioritised when it comes to allocating homes (you can read all about the nomination and allocation processes in our Local Lettings policy);
- you might be put in a ‘waiting pool’ if the tenure of home you want is not available when Hazelmead is completed;
- we do not guarantee any of our members a home in Hazelmead.
If you’d like to become a member, or want to know more, please do get in touch.