Lack of quality affordable housing is one of the main causes of inequality and poverty in the UK. Bridport is a very desirable place to retire to or have a second home, leading to significant housing pressure and leaving many younger residents with few options to find homes of their own.
Hazelmead adds 53 more homes to the local affordable housing supply – homes which are also designed to have low running costs. A community laundry, electric car share, bulk food-buying scheme and food growing will help keep all our living costs low.
Through our partnership with Bournemouth Churches Housing Association (BCHA), we are able to provide a range of housing options to suit different incomes.
26 homes are for social rent for people on the housing register. These include one-bed flats (for single or double occupancy) and two- and three-bed houses.
The other 27 homes are for leasehold purchase. Bridport Cohousing is selling 14 two-, three- and four-bed houses for 80% of the market price, keeping hold of the remaining 20% equity to ensure affordability in the future.
BCHA are selling six one-bed apartments and seven two-, three- and four-bed houses for between 30% and 75% of market price. These are available through the government shared ownership scheme, Help to Buy. Rent is paid to BCHA on the unsold equity, and there is the possibility of later ‘staircasing’ up to 80% ownership.